Wehr’s superintendents (or our safety officer) are required to formally review the site with safety checklists twice daily. The superintendent leads a weekly safety meeting of Wehr’s subcontractors’ supervisors. Each superintendent must also conduct weekly safety meetings for all of Wehr’s on-site personnel. In addition, all site personnel receive quarterly and annual formal safety training conducted by our safety consultant, JV Resources, and our insurance carrier, Sterling Thompson Company. JV Resources also conducts bi-monthly surprise mock OSHA inspections for all job sites.
Wehr has instituted a WEHR SAFE Program specifically addressing jobsite safety. Besides drug screening prior to employment and random drug testing afterward (with a zero tolerance policy), additional aspects of the WEHR SAFE Program include:
- All Wehr meetings and daily inspections are documented in minutes, with reports and specific incident reports that require follow up.
- All site personnel are required to wear contractor badges and hard hats at all times.
- All Wehr and subcontractor personnel must participate in project awareness training. The training reviews life safety plans, egress and fire safety routing for evacuation, emergency evacuation plans, awareness of certified CPR and first aid officers and access to location all MSDS documentation.
- Wehr’s bonding company, Travelers, performs quality site visits with their risk manager, as well as safety agents. These inspections are documented and reported accordingly.
- Our local insurance representative, Sterling Thompson Insurance Company, provides monthly site visits to provide risk assessment and project update reviews for the purpose of safety liaison with our bonding and insurance carriers.
The WEHR SAFE Program and the increased awareness and efforts of each Wehr employee have resulted in an EMR of 0.82.
Thus, over the years, Wehr has been the recipient of a number of safety awards. Recently, we were awarded one of Amerisure’s highest awards for job site safety, further illustrating our commitment to safety as a way of doing business.