Norton Women’s and Kosair Children’s Hospital
After completion of construction in August 2008, Locust Grove Elementary School was the most technologically advanced and eco-friendly education facility in Kentucky. This facility scored a 99 out of 100 from the US Environmental Protection Agencies ENERGY STAR rating system.Construction consisted of a 93,000 sq. ft. new school, located on a green field site in Oldham County, KY. The facility includes a gymnasium, cafeteria, library and media center, stage, administration offices, 37 “intelligent classrooms,” exterior playground area, parking, amphitheater and mechanical mezzanine. The school holds 700+ students.
Project Unique Characteristics:
- Intelligent classrooms containing smart board, automatic lighting, sound system and microphones.
- Geothermal system with over 147 geothermal wells.
- Full mechanical mezzanines above first floor corridors, allowing full access to mechanical equipment without disturbing the classrooms.
- Four skylights to provide natural lighting.
- Amphitheater to allow teachers to have class outside.
- Completion of project within 15 months, despite extreme weather conditions